Sunday, 23 March 2014

More Sewing for Me and Bad Photography

I thought I would post some more of the things I have made for myself over the past few months, and unfortunately the one thing they have in common is that I have pretty bad pictures of most of them. I think finding time to take good blog pictures is way more difficult than finding time to sew. You need to have time when you are not too crazy rushed (like mornings), when there is decent light, someone around to take the pictures, and a reason to be groomed and wear make-up, etc. These factors rarely coincide. Thus, voila some blurry photos!  (But hopefully, the clothes may be interesting. And at least there are some cute kids in some of the shots.)

First up, here is something I made myself last summer - one of my first grown-up outfits since I started sewing in earnest last year. The pattern is the internet sensation, the Washi Dress by Made by Rae. I made it with this fabulous fabric I ordered from the custom-fabric-printing site Spoonflower: Dapper Gentleman Out for a Hack by Ragan.(All Ragan's designs are equestrian-themed and I love them. I have posted a shirt I made my daughter out of some of her fabric before. I have a hard time resisting buying it all.)

Equestrian Washi Dress sewn by Cicely Ingleside


There's me, taking a selfie with my iphone. I didn't have enough fabric for the whole dress, but the back is done in the horse-theme fabric too. I made the front bodice with white cotton, but bound it with bias tape made from horse fabric. (That sounds bad. I mean, horse-themed fabric, not fabric made from horses.)

The pattern in involves shirring the back with elastic thread (I didn't even know what that was!), but it gives clear instructions and turned out to not be too hard. I got lots of use out of this dress last summer - was perfect for warm days.

I made another Washi Dress for my sister D for her birthday. Here is the bad photo:
Gold and White Washi Dress sewn by Cicely Ingleside

It's hard to see the nice fabric, but it is white cotton with gold block print from India - very nice. I bought it from the shop Desi Fabrics on Etsy, as well as the gold "Gota" trim that is at the bottom of the dress, and which I hand-sewed on. The waist line and the neck are bound with gold bias tape.

Then, since I was on a roll, I made my other sister (let's call her "L") a Washi Dress for her birthday. I searched and searched for the right fabric, but eventually settled on one which is featured in the Made by Rae How to Add Sleeves to the Washi Dress tutorial. It is called "Records" in the Ambrosia colourway, by Melody Miller. I bought it from the Etsy shop Kicoli. It is 85% linen and 15% cotton, so it drapes really nicely ( less stiff than cotton) but not scratchy like linen can sometimes be.

Records Washi Dress sewn by Cicely Ingleside

I didn't get a picture of my sister in the dress because she lives too far away (sniff...) on the West Coast of Canada, while I live on the East Coast.

I had some left-over fabric after slip-covering my daughter's chair in this geeee-or-geous Anna Maria Horner fabric called Ghost Wing in Aqua, bought from Westwood Acres Fabric. Shhh... don't tell anyone that I am dressed like a chair.

Ghost Wing Aqua Shearwater Kaftan sewn by Cicely Ingleside\

The pattern I used is the Shearwater Kaftan by Make it Perfect. I really liked this - the pattern has a really nice fit, and it was really well written.

Ghost Wing Aqua Shearwater Kaftan sewn by Cicely Ingleside

\
I liked it so much, I decided to make one for my sister D for Chistmas. After a long and hard fabric search, I settled on..... the same fabric. But in another colourway: Ghost Wing Dusk. I ordered it from the Canadian store Greenwood Quiltery, which has a good selection of mostly quilting fabrics, including nice modern lines.

Ghost Wing Dusk Shearwater Kaftan sewn by Cicely Ingleside
Crazy sides of the photo due to my unskilled attempts at Photoshop-cropping-out of the mess beside the bed upon which I laid the shirt.

Finally, because I got free shipping if I ordered more fabric (excuses, excuses!), I bought this fabric I had been eyeing: Paint by Number Deer, by Erin Michaels for Moda fabrics. 

I used it to make the Banksia top by Megan Nielsen patterns. This was the first pattern of hers I have sewed, and it was really impressive as well - great pattern, great instructions.
Here's a terrible selfie:

Banksia top in Paint-by-Numbers-Deer sewn by Cicely Ingleside

Yes, I did change my iphone case.

I think I could have sized down one size for this one. I know it was kind of risky to use quilting cotton to make a shirt with a large collar. So, to avoid looking like I stepped out in an 80s big-collar, puffy-sleeve, floral type thing, I decided to toughen it up with my pleather jacket and some tough-girl studded bracelets.

Banksia top in Paint-by-Numbers-Deer sewn by Cicely Ingleside


My son took this photo from the bottom of the steps. Did a  6 year-old take better photos than me?  Hmmm.... better work on the photography side of things.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole! This is Dana's and my new favourite site...this and your Pinterest site. So amazingly creative!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover