I am very behind on posting the kids' clothes I have made recently, but it is Selfish Sewing Week , run by blogger Rachel from Imagine Gnats, in the blogosphere, and so I am posting some more things I made for myself. Also, lately I keep deciding that the fabric I have bought for my daughter should be for me.
Thus, the name of my post -What can you do with a metre of Japanese fabric? Since I bought this fabric for my daughter, I only bought a metre, which could easily make her a top or possibly a dress. But Japanese fabric tends to be quite narrow - about 44" wide - , and to top it off, these are 'directional' prints, which means that they are less flexible to fit in a pattern.
I loved this double gauze print called "Town with the Castle" by Japanese textile designer Kayo Horaguchi. I bought it from the Etsy store Kicoli. I already have two skirts made of Japanese double gauze, and I have a dearth of nice casual shirts, so I decided to make a shirt. I needed a pattern that was fairly simple, due to the fact that the print supplies the detail, so I settled on the Zippy Top pattern by See Kate Sew.
I did not have enough fabric to make the whole top, so I decided to 'colour block' the top, using some plain black cotton voile. (I wanted an equally light-weight fabric, which is why I used the voile.)
I did this by drawing a line on my pattern from armpit to armpit. Then I cut the black fabric up to that line, plus half an inch seam allowance. I cut my patterned fabric below that line (with another half inch above the line for seam allowance). I sewed the pieces together to look like the full regular pattern piece, and followed the pattern instructions from there. I did finish the seam (I used a serger but any other seam finishing method like zig-zag stitching or trimming would work fine), and ironed it upwards, then top-stitched it along the black fabric, basically sewing the seam allowance upwards. This kept the seam allowance from showing through the bottom lighter fabric.
I did the same thing with this fabric. I have been hoarding it for a year, loving it but unsure of what to do with it. It is a Nani Iro double gauze cotton print called Fuwari Fuwari. I bought it from Miss Matatabi on Etsy.
I barely had enough of the blue voile - it was scraps left over from another project, and I had to make the facings in white.
Here's the back.
In my Japanese fabric-buying frenzy of February (say that five times fast!) - breaking my self-imposed new-fabric moratorium - I came across knit (ie. t-shirt fabric) by Nani Iro. I had no idea there was such a thing! I decided I really wanted to make myself a t-shirt. So, since this fabric was narrow, I had to order 2.5 metres. (Okay my post name is no longer relevant.) Again it is from Miss Matatabi, and is called Corsage Kosa-jyu knit. But then I picked an over-size style pattern, and didn't have enough fabric!
This pattern is the Summer Concert Tee by Dixie DIY, with 2 inches added to the length at the front.
What did I do without enough fabric? I colour-blocked again, and made the back out of a plain knit fabric - an undyed jersey (which makes it a cream colour) from Organic Cotton Plus. I don't have a good picture of the back, but I have been really impressed with the fabrics I bought from Organic Cotton Plus - super comfortable, and natural, and high quality.
I have one more Japanese fabric project - this one made with a fabric which Miss Matatabi called only "Japanese Fabric Forest Cotton Lawn-A". Really lightweight and lovely. You can't see it in this picture, but it has little forest animals and flowers on it. It took 2.5 meters to make this. The pattern I used is by the Roundabout Dress by Anna Maria Horner, which I ordered (again) on Etsy.
I think perhaps that the bias tape at the neckline and the bottom was meant to face the inside and be invisible, but I put it on the outside. Accidentally, really. But I like how it turned out, since it goes with the black band at the waist. (More colour-blocking!)
Probably I should make my daughter something now and stop stealing all her fabric.